Monday 29 August 2011

Reviewing Quorn Fajita Strips

It's been a while since I reviewed as we've been distracted with festivals this month and camping food isn't usually much to write home about. However, we did manage to take a few vegetarian snacks with us which I now regret not reviewing 'on the move' as resampling one of the things we tried isn't the most exhilarating prospect. I will try it again in the future though for the future's future reference.


These Quorn Fajita Strips cost £2.20 - £2.60 per pack and are "perfect in tortillas & salads or straight from the pack". I haven't had a wrap in ages and already the old salivary glands were working overtime. This had better be good. I tried a piece "straight from the pack" but was immediately disappointed. It was wet and tasteless. The packaging provides cooking instructions but isn't clear on if you have to cook these or not. Having tried it cold, I placed enough for a couple of wraps on a microwaveable plate, covered with cling, stabbed a few random holes and blitzed it in the microwave until they were hot and starting to smell flavoursome (in my overkeen microwave this was about ten seconds, others may vary however they do warn not to overcook).

I laid out my wraps, smothered with mayo and piled on shredded lettuce, cucumber, tomato and grated carrot. Then I added dollops of guacamole (still struggling to be completely dairy free). Short of salsa I dribbled on sweet chilli sauce instead and then added a smattering of chopped olives for good measure and finally topped with the fajita strips. It had been so long since I'd made a wrap I'd forgotten I'd need to roll it up and in my enthusiasm slightly overloaded the wraps. About 1/3rd of the filling fell out as I rolled them up.

The result was amazing. I realise the strips could have been drowned in flavour but in between the fresh, crispy salad, creamy guacamole and spicy sweet chilli sauce you could still taste the gently spiced strips and all the flavours complemented, even the sporadic tangy pieces of olive.

I will definitely try these strips again. Perhaps in a stir fry or with rice though I wouldn't bother with them cold. The verdict is influenced by the juxtaposition of flavours but still: 5/5!






No comments:

Post a Comment